I have used it in most of the classes I have taught and it has never failed to engage the children. I have used it to inspire writing in lots of different genres, for example:
1. Writing a recount of the alien's day.
2. Writing a letter of complaint about the Hoverbike.
3. Writing a set of instructions about how to use the Hoverbike.
4. Writing an advert for the Hoverbike.
5. Writing a narrative about what happens after the film ends.
6. Writing a non-chronological report about the Hoverbike.
Pretty much any type of writing could be based around this short film.